Alagappa College of Technology is an educational institution located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India that offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences. The college was established in 1944 under University of Madras and later was integrated with Anna University in 1978.
Anna University was established on 4th September 1978 as a unitary type of University. It offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society. Besides promoting research and disseminating knowledge gained there from, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities. The University was formed by bringing together and integrating well-known technical institutions in the city of Madras
- College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG)(1794)
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chrompet (MIT)(1949)
- Alagappa College of Technology (ACT)(1944)
- School of Architecture and Planning (SAP)(1957)
Alagappa College of Technology was founded in 1944. Funds for its establishment in the amount of five hundred thousand Indian rupees were donated by philanthropist, Vallal Dr. Alagappa Chettiar to Dr. A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar, Vice Chancellor of Madras University in 1943. Dr. Alagappa Chettiar expressed an interest in setting up a College that offered newer technology related courses. As a token of appreciation for his generosity, Madras University resolved to name the college as Alagappa College of Technology, offering Chemical Engineering, Textile Engineering and Leather Technology and also conferred on him the Honorary Degree of LL.D. at a special Convocation.